- Do not open attachments sent with junk email or emails from persons you do not know.
- Do not open any files attached to an email if the subject line is questionable or unexpected.
- Never send or forward attachments if you do not know how it got to your email box.
- Always download files from well known established and trusted sites.
- Install an anti-virus program.
- Always have the most current version of your anti-virus program.
- Always keep your virus scan on.
- Update your virus definitions at least once a week.
- Back up your files on a regular basis.
- Educate yourself of the latest viruses.
- Write-protect all system & software diskettes using the write-protect tab to prevent any virus from spreading.
- Do not boot from a floppy disk.
- Do not share floppies.
- Scan floppies before using them.
- If you are in a network environment and you get infected, report the virus to your systems administrator.
- Download all of Microsoft’s security patches.
Keep in mind that often computer viruses are spread by accident, so files you get from a friend who would not purposely infect you still might inadvertently give you a virus.